“In effect, the government seems to be telling employees that they are better off with no employer health plan at all than with a plan that does not cover contraceptives. This is hard to reconcile with an Act whose purpose is to bring us closer to universal coverage.”
– President of the USCCB, Archbishop Joseph Kurtz
The Catholic bishops of the United States continue to call for a change to the HHS imposed mandate that violates conscience rights & religious liberty. The Administration’s “accommodation” still forces objecting organizations and individuals to pay for “services” that violate their religious convictions.
The bishops of Minnesota, in solidarity with their brother bishops throughout the country, call on Congress and the Administration to support legislation that provides appropriate conscience rights and protects the First Amendment rights of citizens and Catholic institutions.
What Can You Do?
- Understanding Cooperation with Evil (NCBC)
- Background and Q&A educational resources on Preventive Services Mandate and Conscience Protection
- Health Insurance Options and the Ethics of the HHS Mandate (NCBC)
- Our First, Most Cherished Liberty– A Statement on Religious Liberty
- USCCB Key Points on New Federal Notice on Implementation of HHS Mandate
In the News
- News Release (USCCB): USCCB General Counsel Submits Comments on Latest Version of HHS Contraceptive Mandate
- News Release (USCCB): ‘More Respect for Religious Freedom’ Needed After Failed Senate Vote to Curtail It
- Media Statement (USCCB): Supreme Court Decision on Hobby Lobby
- Statement (MCC): Win for Hobby Lobby and Religious Liberty
- Catholic Spirit: Why we need conscience rights in health care
Video and Other Media
- Violation of Conscience Rights video – Franciscan Alliance
- Women Speak for Themselves – Helen Alvaré
- Sienna Symposium for Woman, Family, and Culture: Religious Liberty and the Equality of Women
- Helen Alvaré on Religious Freedom and the HHS Mandate
- Gloria Purvis – HHS Mandate is Anti-Woman: Catholics Need to Speak Up