Stop Predatory Gambling in Minnesota
We Do Not Need Anytime, Anywhere Gambling in Minnesota
Urge your legislator to vote NO on H.F. 778—legislation that would allow Minnesotans to place mobile sports bets from anywhere in the state.
The Minnesota Senate Finance Committee will be voting on a bill TOMORROW (5/18/22) that would legalize sports gambling—including making it available through mobile apps. Your legislator sits on this committee!
Last week, the Minnesota House passed their version of the online sports gambling bill. They welcomed several amendments to the bill that would protect Minnesotans from addiction, but it was not enough. We need to stop the legalization of anytime, anywhere sports betting in our state.
The Minnesota Catholic Conference is opposing this proposed gambling expansion because of the addictive nature that gambling promotes, and the financial loss for individuals, families, and communities that comes with it. The bill being considered would create unprecedented access and exposure to sports gambling by allowing wagers to be placed on home computers or mobile devices.
Here are just some of the statistics that reveal the harms of gambling:
- Sports bettors are at least twice as likely to suffer from problem gambling compared to gamblers in general
- Minnesotans lose $325 million per month on gambling already
- Recent studies show that 6 percent of college students have a serious gambling problem
- 37 percent of problem gamblers reported stealing from their workplace
- For each individual with a gambling problem, between eight and ten other people are negatively affected
What MCC has done so far:
- The bishops joined with faith leaders from around the state to share our opposition to sports gambling: LETTER.
- The bishops of Minnesota brought their concerns about gambling expansion to the Governor and legislative leadership.
- Ryan Hamilton, government relations associate, testified to the House Commerce Finance and Policy Committee: WATCH.
- Helped organize coalition testimony of opposition. Read the following testimony by Les Bernal, National Director of Stop Predatory Gambling, to learn about more of the harms: TESTIMONY.
Now we need YOUR voice to stop this insidious bill.
If you have...
One Minute: Send a message to your state Senator asking him or her to protect the common good by resisting the push from gambling companies to allow online sports betting in Minnesota. We should not unleash this insidious industry in our state to benefit a privileged few.
Three Minutes: After sending the elected officials on the Senate Finance committee a quick email, take another minute to call his or her office or send a video message. A suggested script and talking points will show up on your device. Legislators do not often get calls from their constituents, so a follow-up call or video will greatly increase your impact and further build your relationship.
More Time: Share our one-pager and our faith leaders' letter with your family and friends to get the word out about problem gambling.